SPAN 201 - Intermediate Spanish 1
Number of Credits: 3
Intermediate Spanish 1 is a continuation of SPAN-102. It includes review and expansion of the four language skills as well as grammar. Writing and speaking will be improved through composition and class and discussions of cultural/contemporary issues. The course is conducted in Spanish. Advanced Placement Exam (Spanish) and CLEP (Spanish Level 2) accepted. Prerequisite: SPAN-102 or two years of high school Spanish with an Advisor’s approval. GENERAL EDUCATION and DIVERSITY
Fall, Spring and Summer Three hours lecture. Three Credits. Three billable hours.
Diversity: Meets Diversity Requirement.
GENERAL EDUCATION Category: Arts and Humanities
Pre-requisite(s): SPAN 102 or two years of high school Spanish with an Advisor’s approval.
Course Objectives: Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Use intermediate level structures and vocabulary to communicate about global issues (GE1)
- Communicate orally with accuracy to handle uncomplicated tasks related to straightforward situations in Spanish (GE1)
- Create grammatically correct questions and short essay -level responses in written and oral forms (GE1)
- Respond to a range of short written texts and aural passages that convey information about personal and social topics and contexts (GE1)
- Recognize and apply patterns, context clues and structural knowledge of language to predict meaning of unfamiliar words (GE3)
- Consistently apply rules of register/formality according to situation and audience (GE1)
- Identify current issues in locations where Spanish is spoken and the connection of these issues to the world at large (GE8)
- Create a plan for continued language learning to support student’s chosen field (GE8)
- Integrate knowledge of other disciplines through the study of the Spanish language and the cultures and diverse experiences of its speakers (GE5, GE6)
- Locate, evaluate, use and cite research sources when completing written assignments (GE4, GE5)
Add to Personal Bookmarks (opens a new window)