BIOL 202 - Fundamentals of Biology 2: Organismic & Population Biology
Number of Credits: 4
Explore principles of organismal, ecological, and evolutionary biology with emphasis on the phylogenic and evolutionary patterns of major groups of organisms; the dynamics of populations, communities and ecosystems; and the principles of natural selection, population genetics and speciation. Formulate questions and hypotheses, design experiments, and collect, report, and interpret data. Advanced Placement Exam (Biology with a score of 4) and CLEP (Biology with a score of 50) accepted. (Spring) Three hours lecture. Three hours lab. Four credits. Four billable hours.
Pre-/Co-requisite(s): BIOL 215 and BIOL 240 with a minimum grade C.
Course Objectives: Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Explain the concepts underlying the principles of evolution, natural selection, and population genetics. (PG1, PG2, PG3, PG4, PG5 GE1, GE2, GE3, GE4, GE5, GE6)
2. Describe the origin, evolution, and characteristics of organisms from the three domains and major phyla of life. (PG3 GE1, GE3, GE4, GE5)
3. Relate the phylogenies of plants and animals to the development of key variations and adaptations in response to environmental influences. (PG2, PG3 GE1, GE2, GE3, GE4, GE5, GE6)
4. Describe the evolutionary patterns and strategies of growth and reproduction of different plant and animal divisions emphasizing the relationship of form and function. (PG1, PG2, PG3, PG4 GE1, GE2, GE3, GE4, GE5, GE6)
5. Describe the dynamics of populations and community structures. (PG1, PG2, PG3, PG4, PG5 GE1, GE2, GE3, GE4, GE5, GE6)
6. Explain the biotic and abiotic relationships in ecosystems and human impact. (PG1, PG2, PG3, PG4, PG5 GE1, GE2, GE3, GE4, GE5, GE6)
7. Use the scientific process to investigate biological questions and make informed decisions. (PG1, PG2, PG3, PG4, PG5 GE1, GE2, GE3, GE4, GE5, GE6)
8. Research and present information on selected topics using various modes of communication (oral, written, visual). (PG1, PG2, PG3, PG4, PG5 GE1, GE2, GE3, GE4, GE5)
Add to Personal Bookmarks (opens a new window)