Oct 02, 2023  
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Transfer Information

Start any Bachelor’s Degree at Carroll

Carroll Community College courses transfer! Carroll makes every effort to maintain current and accurate transfer information; however, students should always verify information with the intended transfer school. Students may find information about transferring in Maryland at artsys.usmd.edu and www.carrollcc.edu/transfer. Please consult an academic advisor to plan a program of study at Carroll that will transfer to the college of your choice. Students who do not utilize these transfer resources are at risk of losing credits in transfer.

Transfer of Credits

A student who plans to transfer to a four-year college or university must meet the requirements of that institution. Colleges vary widely in their freshman and sophomore requirements. Students are advised to become acquainted with the course requirements of the institution to which they expect to transfer. Academic advisors will help students plan their schedules to meet these requirements so that credits are not lost in transfer. Students are responsible for seeing that they take the courses necessary for junior-status admission to their chosen four-year college.

Transfer to Other Maryland Institutions of Higher Education

Special transfer policies have been developed by the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) for community college students transferring to other Maryland institutions of public higher education. This policy allows for uninterrupted progress of the student from one institution to another. Maximum transfer of college-level credits is assured, and transfer students are to be governed by the same academic rules and regulations as apply to native students (students originally enrolled at the four-year college). While there may be additional General Education courses (or specific courses required), by state agreement, Carroll’s General Education courses will transfer to Maryland State 4-year institutions and will be accepted toward their General Education course requirements. Students planning to transfer within Maryland should consult ARTSYS or an academic advisor in the Advising and Transfer Center.

An overall grade point average of 2.000 will be assumed as one standard for admission and will be computed on grades received at all institutions attended unless the student presents an Associate of Arts, Associate of Sciences, or Associate of Applied Sciences degree, which guarantees admission on a space-available basis. Certain programs of study require higher grade point averages or may have other selective admissions criteria. Credits transferred from a community college shall normally be limited to approximately one half the bachelor’s degree requirements but in no case more than 70 credits.


During the last term at Carroll Community College, request that official transcripts be sent to potential transfer institutions. A $5.00 fee is required for this service. It is advisable to send transcripts reflecting courses and grades earned to date, as well as a completed transcript when the term ends. If you are graduating, please wait until your degree is posted. Transcripts are sent in real time. Preview your transcript on the Lynx portal, scroll down to “unofficial transcript with GPA.” Visit www.carrollcc.edu/transcript for directions or visit the Records Office, room A112.

Articulation Agreements

Articulation Through ARTSYS: University System of Maryland and More…

ARTSYS, at artsys.usmd.edu, is an online system created to help students from Maryland community colleges transfer to most programs in the University System of Maryland and other participating four-year institutions. Through ARTSYS, Carroll Community College maintains articulation (transfer) agreements with the following colleges and universities:

  • Bowie State University
  • Capitol College
  • Coppin State University
  • Frostburg State University
  • Goucher College
  • Hood College
  • McDaniel College
  • Morgan State University
  • Mount Saint Mary’s University
  • Salisbury University
  • Saint Mary’s College of Maryland
  • Stevenson University
  • Towson University
  • Universities at Shady Grove
  • University of Baltimore
  • University of Maryland Baltimore
  • University of Maryland Baltimore County
  • University of Maryland College Park
  • University of Maryland Eastern Shore
  • University of Maryland Global Campus
  • University System of Maryland (Hagerstown)
  • Washington College

The State policies regarding transfer can be found in the College Regulations and Policies . It has been agreed that all General Education courses will transfer as General Education to any of our Maryland State public colleges and universities.

Carroll’s Special Transfer Agreements

In addition to agreements with the above colleges and universities, Carroll Community College maintains special agreements with:

  • Ashford College
  • Concordia College
  • Capital Technology University
  • Excelsior College
  • Mount Saint Mary’s Professional Accelerated Studies, Business and Criminal Justice
  • Pennsylvania State University, Harrisburg
  • Saint Mary’s College of Maryland
  • Shippensburg University
  • Stevenson University
  • Swansea University UK
  • University of Maryland
  • University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC)
  • University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC)
  • York College

Free Course at Hood College

Carroll Community College students have an opportunity to take a free course at Hood College every fall, spring, and summer term. See an academic advisor for information. Eligibility requirements:

  • Student must be enrolled as a full-time student at Carroll Community College.
  • Course prerequisites must be met.
  • The exchange course must not be available at Carroll Community College during the chosen term.

Reduced-Price Course at McDaniel College

Carroll Community College students have a one-time opportunity to take a course at McDaniel College for the price of a Carroll course. See an academic advisor for information. Eligibility requirements:

  • Students must have earned at least 24 credits with a minimum 2.500 Carroll GPA
  • Student must be enrolled in at least nine credits during the chosen term.
  • Each student will be allowed one course.

In addition to the one course outlined above, Carroll students may take specific music courses at McDaniel at the Carroll in-county price. See Eric McCullough, Program Director of Music, or an academic advisor for more information.

UMBC Transfer Student Alliance

The Transfer Student Alliance (TSA) program, a partnership between Carroll Community College (Carroll) and the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). This member benefit program, which is not a binding commitment to attend UMBC, gives you greater access to UMBC as you continue working toward your associate degree at Carroll and guarantees admission, scholarship, and on-campus housing to qualified TSA members.

Carroll students receive:

  • $75 transfer admission application fee waiver
  • 25% tuition discount for one concurrent UMBC course per semester (maximum 3 courses)
  • UMBC Student ID Card
  • Access to UMBC’s campus facilities and services including the computer labs and libraries
  • Participation in cultural and recreational student activities at UMBC

TSA applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalency. Competitive applicants for membership have at least 12 college credits completed with a 3.0 GPA or higher.

Maryland Education Alliance (MEA)

Carroll is part of the Maryland Education Alliance is an innovative collaboration designed to boost opportunities for students to earn associate degrees and certificates statewide.

The MEA creates opportunities for community colleges to share resources and expertise, meet community needs in some of the fastest-growing career fields, and generate cost savings for colleges that can be passed on to students.  The alliance creates a clear, seamless pathway for students to move from one community college to another, decreasing the need to run a highly specialized, costly, and sometimes low-enrolled program at several locations.

Through the MEA agreement, students complete initial coursework at Carroll Community College (General Education and as directed), before transferring to the receiving community college for specialized discipline coursework. See the program pages for additional details.

Programs currently available to Carroll students include:

For more information or to apply, new students may contact the Senior Director of Enrollment Development (410-386-8430 or admissions@carrollcc.edu); current students may contact an advisor (room A102, 410-386-8435, or advise@carrollcc.edu). See the program pages for complete program descriptions.