ECE 104 - Methods and Materials in Early Childhood Education
Number of Credits: 3
Methods and Materials in Early Childhood Education is designed to teach the methods and proper use of materials for presenting creative learning experiences to young children in the areas of language, creative dramatics, art, music, movement, math, science, emergent literacy, and outdoor activities. This course meets the Maryland State Department of Education Teaching Methodology requirement for an initial certificate in Early Childhood Education. This course satisfies forty-five hours of the Ninety hour Child Care Certificate required for Senior Staff. ECE 101 is required to complete the Ninety Hour Child Care Certificate. (Fall & Spring Only) Three hours lecture each week. Three Credits. Three billable hours.
Pre-requisite(s): eligibility for ENGL 101 . Students may take ECE 101 and ECE-104 concurrently.
Course Objectives: Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify types of early childhood development programs. (GE 1, 2, 5 PG 2)
- Compare traditional, current, and innovative program models designed for children. (GE 2, 3 PG 1, 2, 3)
- Identify common non-instructional roles and responsibilities of the early childhood teacher. (GE 1, 2, 7 PG 1, 3)
- Explain how to create a safe environment that prevents and reduces injuries.(GE 1, 2 PG 1, 2, 3)
- Construct an interesting, secure, and enjoyable environment that encourages play exploration and learning. (GE 5 PG 1, 2, 3)
- Identify effective methods and strategies that stimulate the social, emotional, language, physical, and cognitive development of young children. (GE 1, 2, 3 PG 1, 2, 3)
- Implement developmentally appropriate activities that encourage curiosity, exploration, and problem solving appropriate to the developmental levels and learning styles of children. (GE 1, 2, 5 PG 1, 2, 3)
- Develop age-appropriate, curriculum-based instructional units.(GE 2, 5 PG 1, 2, 3)
- Describe effective behavior management techniques appropriate for pre-school children.(GE 1, 2 PG 1, 2)
- Analyze current research relative to methodology and materials in early childhood education. (GE 1, 2, 4 PG 1, 2, 3)
Add to Personal Bookmarks (opens a new window)